14 May 2023Trip to Oslo
Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Picasso exhibition at the Musée d’Orsay. The last days of the exhibition are until January 6, 2019.
“I depict the world not as I see it, but as I think it,” said the artist.
Such a number of paintings in one place! They say that it cost the French government a lot of money to hold this exhibition, the first time such a number of Picasso paintings in France and they say that it may be the last time.
A few interesting facts:
- He was born in a family of an artist and a teacher of a school of fine arts, so his talent for drawing was recognized and had the opportunity to develop at an early age.
- He often uses a pigeon in his paintings, in memory of his father, because when he first learned to paint Picasso began by drawing pigeons (in his father’s studio).
- Picasso preferred his mother’s name to his father’s because she had always encouraged him to follow his father’s atypical style. His father, on the other hand, was a stickler for more classical drawings.
- At a time when Picasso’s work was not a success, it was the Americans Gertrude Stein and her brother Leo who were his greatest benefactors, and who held exhibitions of his work at their home.
- Picasso is the most expensive artist in the world and he is considered to be the founder of Cubism.